WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tor plugin

Posted by ntoskrnl 
Tor plugin
January 21, 2014 08:33PM
I just committed a new plugin for Tor. [www.torproject.org] The plugin is based on a pure Java Tor client implementation called Orchid. [www.subgraph.com]

The plugin is intended for working around geographical restrictions on sites like Hulu, BBC and others by automatically choosing an appropriate exit node (effectively utilizing Tor as a large proxy network).

I didn't release the Tor plugin or the updated Hulu plugin yet. Maybe other developers want to test it a bit too? smiling smiley

The plugin is quite large (~700kb), but only 50% of it is classes. The rest is a GeoIP database. Perhaps it could be trimmed a bit, although deciding which countries to keep might be difficult (we have plugins for at least US, UK, German, Finnish, Swedish and Brazilian services, and who knows what we add in the future).

The plugin exposes a very concise API (only two lines modified in the Hulu plugin): see the TorProxyClient class. Also see the CountryLocator class.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 08:35PM by ntoskrnl.
Re: Tor plugin
January 28, 2014 12:53PM
Excuse my ignorance.. but does that mean, when implemented this tor plugin can be used to bypass sites that were not supported by tunlr too?
January 28, 2014 04:54PM
That's correct.
February 06, 2014 08:08PM
The Tor plugin has been released. The Hulu and BBC plugins were update to make use of Tor.

Please test and report back if you find any issues! smiling smiley Suggestions about plugins that could use Tor are also welcome.
February 07, 2014 07:01AM
I would like to test rdio.com plugin.
Can you please update it?.. Thanks in advance.
February 07, 2014 12:01PM
Rdio seems to work for me. Can you post example links? Do you know which countries Rdio works in and where it doesn't?
February 07, 2014 01:52PM
Sample link [www.rdio.com]
Works with US ip's, but doesn't work here in India
February 08, 2014 10:11AM
Both my friend and I tried, but sadly to no avail. Hope you can fix it!
February 08, 2014 04:50PM
@honey_ami: Hmm, it seems like Rdio blocks Tor (I get "No permissions to stream"). Perhaps another developer could confirm this to make sure it's not an issue on my end?

@shuiqingmei: Unfortunately it seems like Tor is completely censored in China. I'm not sure what we can do about it. If you set your own proxy settings, FRD won't try to use Tor.
February 09, 2014 06:44AM
^^ I get the same thing bro ("No permissions to stream")
Hope tong finds a workaround.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login