WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tor plugin

Posted by ntoskrnl 
Re: Tor plugin
February 09, 2014 08:50AM
Yep, me too, seems like Tor is blocked by Rdio, I tried US exit nodes.

I tried to use US proxy (non-Tor) at particular request (where Tunlr code used to be), the plugin worked fine.
February 09, 2014 07:50PM
ntoskrnl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Tor plugin has been released. The Hulu and BBC
> plugins were update to make use of Tor.
>
> Please test and report back if you find any
> issues! smiling smiley Suggestions about plugins that could
> use Tor are also welcome.

Hello smiling smiley

My physical location is in Northern Greece. After the tunlr.frp fiasco, bbciplayer & itv.com downloads stopped working, but did still work if I found working HTTP UK proxies (e.g. @ [spys.ru]).
For some obscure reason, the hulu plugin v1.4.0 continued to be functional even after the demise of tunlr.frp.
Today (09/02/2014), I installed geoip.frp v1.0.0, tor.frp v1.0.0, hulu.frp 1.4.1 & bbc.frp 1.1.7 (among other updates...).
After an FRD restart, bbciplayer downloads were restored thumbs up, but not the itv.com ones (e.g. https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-jonathan-ross-show/series-6/episode-6); so please do add support for itv.com.
HOWEVER, new hulu plugin (1.4.1) TOTALLY BROKE hulu downloads for me angry smiley - I have tried with or without "Enable Tunlr" within the plugin's options to no avail, I now can't get anything off hulu...All I get with anything I try is "ERROR getting file name".

Example URL : http://www.hulu.com/watch/588260#i0,p196,d0

Log file for that URL is attached...
And I do get the same results if I use a HTTP US proxy (from [spys.ru]) or a US VPN, which in this case - as I understand it - bypasses the tor plugin...
What is important to note is that I have backed up version 1.4.0 prior to updating to 1.4.1 (I had a hunch), if I now downgrade to hulu.frp 1.4.0, hulu downloads are again restored even with the tor plugin installed! I am also attaching said previous version (renamed hulu140.frp) to aid the devs & others...
For the time being, I'm keeping v1.4.0 and unchecked "Make updates for this plugin" confused smiley , hoping for a fix...

And about plugin suggestions, I'd like if the cbs.com plugin could be made again functional for non-US IPs (as it was in the tunlr era), possibly with an improvent to include quality selection, as I have no interest in the big 720p files it now downloads by default...
Lastly, I'd like to raise a point which is OT to this thread, but I did not want to create a new post for it:
There exist on the internet several FREE UK & US VPN services, that can be used to access geo-resrtricted content (though I'd never use them for privacy concerns...), that have now (without the tunlr plugin) become useful, e.g.

[uk.hotfreevpn.com]
[us.hotfreevpn.com]

The main problem for these services is that they have the default rtmp port (1935) CLOSED, so they do work in a browser because they use the fall-back ports 443 or 80, but not with FRD or other rtmp downloading tools (RTMPdumphelper) where the default port 1935 is expected by the tool. Could it be that the rtmp.frp plugin be updated so as to try connecting to the rtmp host through port 443 or 80 if 1935 is closed? Right now, FRD stands idle with a DOWNLOADING message...

Many thanks for your patience in reading this long report winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 11:32PM by TVjunkie.
Attachments:
open | download - app.log (49.9 KB)
open | download - hulu140.frp (19.3 KB)
February 10, 2014 01:45PM
Thanks for the detailed feedback!

I made a small unrelated change to file name handling in Hulu v1.4.1, and a quick Google search suggests that a certain feature is not available in Java 6. Do you happen to be running Java 6? Is it possible to update to Java 7?

ITV plugin now updated to use Tor. smiling smiley

CBS seems to block Tor, just like Rdio. I couldn't get it to work. sad smiley

About VPN: I guess it should be possible to add an option to choose the RTMP port. However, there's one thing you could try: RTMP traffic is not geoblocked, so if you can somehow make it so that only HTTP traffic goes through the VPN, most services should work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login