WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hulu plugin simply stopped working - error getting file name

Posted by pasnthroo 
Hulu plugin simply stopped working - error getting file name
February 11, 2014 03:58PM
Hello!

I have been using FRD happily for a while now and I found it particularly useful for downloading from Hulu with subtitles. Never had any problems and it worked fine from the start.

Now, for no apparent reason whenever I try to download from Hulu I get the error "error getting file name"

I've restarted the computer, deleted and re-installed FRD to no avail.

FRD version 0.9u3
plugin version 1.4.1
java version 7.51 (I think?)
Windows 7 64 bit
hulu.com problem url
log attached

I did recently switch from comcast to verizon for my ISP if that makes a difference.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated since I have loved the program!

Tnaks
Attachments:
open | download - app.log (45.3 KB)
Re: Hulu plugin simply stopped working - error getting file name
February 11, 2014 04:21PM
This issue will occur if you're running Java 6 instead of Java 7. Are you sure you don't have Java 6 installed? If you do, you can uninstall all versions of Java and then reinstall the latest version.
February 11, 2014 05:59PM
Thank you SO MUCH for getting back to me so fast. It turns out I did have both java 6 and 7 installed. I uninstalled both and reinstalled the latest version of 7 and VOILA! FRD worked as usual.

Again thanks so much for your quick and professional response!
February 17, 2014 01:00PM
I am having this problem I am using the latest version of FRD 0.9u3 and the latest hulu plugin 1.4.1

It says error getting file name,

I have mac os x mavericks

I did everything with Java: installed java 7, uninstalled java 7 and reverted back to the mac java 6 and nothing helped.

I reinstalled frd and wiped out the plugins, and didn't update the hulu plugin and it works, so the problem seems to be with the new plugin.

this happens with every hulu weblink [www.hulu.com]

I attached my log. I hope you can help. Thanks!

ladyace
Attachments:
open | download - app.log (50.3 KB)
February 17, 2014 01:43PM
You are running Java 6 (which is obsolete and insecure). The Hulu plugin requires Java 7. Please uninstall all Java versions and then install Java 7.
February 17, 2014 10:59PM
Java 7. - I had tried that before but I reverted d/t using chrome web browser

So i did update to java 7 and attached is the log, still the same error. did I miss anything? Java website says i have "recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 51)"

Thank you
Attachments:
open | download - app.log (102.2 KB)
February 17, 2014 11:32PM
Well, the error message ("JSON is not defined") is the one you get if you're running Java 6.

The original poster had both Java 6 and 7 installed, and his system defaulted to launch Java applications like FRD with Java 6. It's also entirely possible that the browser plugin uses a different Java version than Java applications.

Please make sure you only have Java 7 installed and no other versions.

If this turns out to be impossible for some reason, you could edit frd.bat (Windows) or frd.sh (Linux) to point to the full path of Java 7 and launch FRD through that. I'm not sure if the OS X package includes frd.sh.
February 18, 2014 01:08AM
I dug around and did find a jre 6 in java virtual machine folder and deleted that, Reinstalled Java 7. and FRD, however FRD wanted to install Java 6 and I said no. Now the program won't open at all. I'm very frustrated, there must be something wrong with Java 7 and the mac. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

edit: made sure all traces of java 6 were removed, java 7 installed, could not get FRD to start. Just went back to java 6 for mac and just will not update the hulu plugin. so far that's the only solution that works. I will keep an eye on the forums if there is any other ideas I could try in the future to get it to work with java 7

Thanks for all the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 03:21AM by ladyace.
February 18, 2014 02:43PM
I did some google searching and found this: [stackoverflow.com]

After installing, read the JDK for Mac ReadMe. Most importantly, if you want Java 7 to be the default, drag it to the top of the list in the Java Preferences app found in your Utilities folder.

Have you tried this already?
February 18, 2014 11:32PM
I keep getting a "No streams found" error. I was trying to find a certain part of this episode, kept getting commercials every time I tried to skip, so I thought I'd download it instead.
[www.hulu.com]

I think Hulu changed something, since none of the usual plug-ins can grab the video either. Flash Video Downloader 5.3.2 can't grab the episode, nor can UnPlug or FlashGot with DownThemAll installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 03:38AM by slickrcbd.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login