WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hulu plugin updated today - now broken

Posted by bodywave 
Re: Hulu plugin updated today - now broken
March 29, 2014 07:01PM
Our RTMP plugin supports RTMP and RTMPE, handshake types 3, 6, 8 and 9, and SWF verification type 1.

Handshake type 10 and SWF verification type 2 have not been reverse engineered yet by anyone.
April 02, 2014 02:27PM
Hopefully you guys can reverse it soon!
April 04, 2014 09:24PM
Looks like ChrisPC Free Videotube Downloader can download from Hulu. Do they use a different method or do you think it might help with a plugin? Problem with them is to get hi res you have to buy an add-on. Not a bitch about making a profit - It's just that I'm poor - hehe!

Thanks!
April 05, 2014 11:59PM
pasnthroo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like ChrisPC Free Videotube Downloader can
> download from Hulu. Do they use a different method
> or do you think it might help with a plugin?
> Problem with them is to get hi res you have to buy
> an add-on. Not a bitch about making a profit -
> It's just that I'm poor - hehe!
>
> Thanks!

Can you provide sample link that works on the other downloader?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 12:00AM by tong2shot.
April 06, 2014 01:03AM
can confirm these work with that, not HD but I haven't bought the addon

[www.hulu.com]
[www.hulu.com]
[www.hulu.com]
[www.hulu.com]

all just give 0 byte files with FRD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 01:04AM by ilanad.
April 06, 2014 02:24AM
Okay please try plugin v1.4.7.
April 06, 2014 02:37AM
ntoskrnl Wrote:
> Handshake type 10 and SWF verification type 2 have
> not been reverse engineered yet by anyone.

Hello ntoskrnl smiling smiley

What you said is absolutely true; although the infamous rtmpdump v2.5 did have support for "Handshake type 10" (by "borrowing" code from Adobe, hence it was then outlawed and practically vanished from the web...), it lacked support for "SWF verification type 2".
However, the very expensive chinese shareware GetFLV DOES HAVE support for both of the above and is able, for example, to save to disk YouTube rtmpe streams (such as those on the Channel 4 youtube channel and others...).
As far as Hulu is concerned, I tried the following sample link:

The Family Guy - S12E14 - Fresh Heir,

used an older version of GetFLV (9.5.8.2 - it is reported that current versions 9.6.x.x do not work that well /or at all for hulu),
also used a free US VPN, since I don't reside in the US, and the software easily picked up the rtmpe URL for the "darwin-level3" CDN that the hulu player connected to, see screenshot attached; you then have to be very swift to press "download", because the authentication token expires in 5 to 6 secs, but the software DID SUCCESSFULLY INITIATE the download (which completed fully, albeit somewhat slowly due to reduced speeds of the VPN); for proof, see the second attachment winking smiley
Now, as we already know, the "darwin-level3" CDN has implemented SWFver2, thus incapacitating hulu.frp, but how are the GetFLV folks getting away with it? confused smiley
The problem with GetFLV (apart from its huge price, which makes unemployed/poor people like me search for cracked/insecure versions of it on the net...) is that it's very buggy, unstable and resource (RAM+CPU) hungry angry smiley
So I am eagerly awaiting for a hulu.frp fix! If only the good old days of the tunlr (now dead) plugin could be back again...Sadly, this is now impossible eye rolling smiley.
Many thanks for what you have provided in the past and for all that you are willing to provide in the future! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 03:14PM by TVjunkie.
Attachments:
open | download - Stream detection [darwin-level3].jpg (106.2 KB)
open | download - SWFver_type2_download.jpg (121.9 KB)
April 06, 2014 02:42AM
@TVjunkie
Have you tried plugin v1.4.7?

I can download your modified sample link : [www.hulu.com] just fine with plugin v1.4.7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 02:45AM by tong2shot.
April 06, 2014 03:33AM
tong2shot Wrote:
> @TVjunkie
> Have you tried plugin v1.4.7?

Cheers tong2shot thumbs up smiley

I saw your post only after I had submitted mine eye rolling smiley, directed to ntoskrnl...

In fact, I was about to write a second post aimed at you, to make you aware
of these related threads in the "stream-recorder.com" forums:

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/help-needed-rtmpdump-hulu-plus-windows-t18088.html

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/any-good-downloaders-hulu-t16958.html]

Also point you to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoI7RvLynfM

It appears that, for the time being, the only hulu CDN that does not use SWF verification type 2 (and is thus downloadable by rtmpdump) and is not geo-blocked at rtmp server level, like the limelight CDN is (meaning that the tor.frp can be used), is the "darwin-edgecast" CDN. Is that what you did in hulu.frp 1.4.7 ?
I did update to that version but, being outside the US, I was successful in downloading the Family Guy episode only on my 9th (!) try, because hulu kept blocking me, after identifying the Tor US proxy node... I also tried with my free US VPN, but this only works through RTMP ports 443 & 80, that FRD does not support by default (only RTMP port 1935...).
Could I ask again that a global option be introduced in FRD to allow for manual selection of RTMP port (1935,443,80) inside the rtmp.frd plugin? [EDIT: Now that I think of it, a better scenario would be for the rtmp.frp plugin to try instead port 443 and then 80, if it can not establish connection through the default port 1935 - this is the behaviour that RTMPDownloader.pm inside get_flash_videos exhibits...] Other rtmp tools like rtmpdumphelper, rtmpexplorer, get_iplayer et al. do have that function...
But in any case, this is cause for celebration and many congratulations to the ever-working devs of FRD smileys with beer
Let's all hope hulu does not change things for a while...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 03:17PM by TVjunkie.
April 06, 2014 03:50AM
TVjunkie Wrote:
> It appears that, for the time being, the only hulu
> CDN that does not use SWF verification type 2 (and
> is thus downloadable by rtmpdump) and is not
> geo-blocked at rtmp server level, like the
> limelight CDN is (meaning that the tor.frd can be
> used), is the "darwin-edgecast" CDN. Is that what
> you did in hulu.frd 1.4.7 ?

Yes we did.

> I did update to that version but, being outside
> the US, I was successful in downloading the Family
> Guy episode only on my 9th (!) try, because hulu
> kept blocking me, after identifying the Tor US
> proxy node... I also tried with my free US VPN,
> but this only works through RTMP ports 443 & 80,
> that FRD does not support by default (only RTMP
> port 1935...).
> Could I ask again that a global option be
> introduced in FRD to allow for manual selection of
> RTMP port (1935,443,80) inside the rtmp.frd
> plugin? Other rtmp tools like rtmpdumphelper,
> rtmpexplorer, get_iplayer et al. do have that
> function...

Actually Hulu plugin had port option, but we removed it as it potentially confuses users.

Hulu plugin uses rtmp port 80 for "darwin-edgecast" CDN. So it should work with your VPN setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 03:52AM by tong2shot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login