WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BBC radio iplayer

Posted by micky 
BBC radio iplayer
December 06, 2014 11:23AM
Hi everyone

Until this morning I have been happily able to download old radio broadcasts from all stations on the BBC radio iplayer, using FRD.

This morning I have received only ERROR messages on all attempts, and have also downloaded the latest version (FreeRapid-0.9u4) with no luck.

Has the BBC made some alteration to their website, and will FRD be able to find a plugin to cope with it?

Hopefully

Micky
Re: BBC radio iplayer
December 07, 2014 06:41AM
What plugin version you're using? Could you provide example links?
December 07, 2014 01:27PM
I am using the latest version of FRD and have updated all the plugins - I'm not quite sure what you mean by "plugin version".

There is some inconsistency in that some programmes download immediately, for example:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

and some after several attempts or not at all, for example:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Needless to say I'm very grateful to get anything at all!

micky
December 07, 2014 02:19PM
I can download your example link #1 just fine. Your example link #2 is page listing, currently BBC iplayer plugin doesn't support page listing. But you can select the links from the list, copy to clipboard, and FRD will pick them up. I tested few links from the list, and the plugin works fine.

Assuming you're not using UK ip address/proxy, please read this post by TVjunkie.
December 07, 2014 06:15PM
Many thanks for this help Tong2shot. I have selected "Limelight" in the "Preferred CDN" field as the article suggests and now I find I can download the TV option as well - first time! I would never have thought of this and am really grateful to you for your help.

I just now have to see whether this setting works for radio or if I have to move back to Akamai for this.

micky
March 03, 2015 11:42AM
I was suddenly unable to download any BBC radio or TV programmes from the website last night - always fatal error message.

This morning I updated to latest version of FRD, updated plugins and set preferences to Limelight and enable TOR - all to no avail.

Any suggestions please?

micky
March 03, 2015 01:03PM
I've just released BBC plugin v1.2.7 which fixes CDN selection for radio, although when I tested, radio worked fine with plugin v1.2.6. I also tested TV programmes, plugin v1.2.6 and v1.2.7 also worked fine. I used VPN, so I think your problem is with connection/network/TOR.

Radio programmes should work fine without TOR/proxy, I tested with akamai and limelight CDN. The only difference is I get low bitrate file (48Kbps) with direct connection.

Please attach app.log, so that we can analyze the problem.
March 03, 2015 02:45PM
Hi Tongshot

Thanks for your reply.

Just downloaded v1.2.7 with no difference.

Please bear with an illiterate but not sure what you mean by app.log - how to I find and attach this?

Also programme freezes when I try and download from bbc now and I have to close using alt-ctrl-delete.

Cheers

micky
March 03, 2015 05:02PM
Try to download radio programme without TOR, if it's OK then try to download it with TOR.

To find log file: in FRD, Help -> Browse to log file.

To attach the log file: in Forum, click "Attach a file.."
March 03, 2015 06:30PM
Hope these two files have some useful info; there are two more 'LCK' files which won't attach.

Radio programmes will not download with TOR disabled either.

Many thanks for your help: much appreciated.

micky
Attachments:
open | download - app.log.1 (1.9 KB)
open | download - app.log (15.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login