WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Java programming

Posted by Vity 
jim
Re: Java programming
November 28, 2006 08:32PM
I am wondering why there is one binary versions of wordrider, per plateform.

I thought that the advantage of Java was the binary portability.
November 28, 2006 08:51PM
There is only one. 'wordrider.jar' is same for every distribution.
Just MacOs distribution does not contain Kunsttoff L&F because of problem with loading PNG files. Linux distribution contains launch.sh and Windows distribution contains wordrider.exe.

-------------------------------------

jim
December 01, 2006 07:28PM
Hi Vity,

I have a couple of question about Java :

I thought that the advantage of Java was portability, and I don't undersand why there is one version of wordrider per OS ?
Can you run any byte code on any platform (with the relevant JVM) ?

I found a compiler that contend to compile Java byte code into machine code :
[gcc.gnu.org]
Do you think it is searious ?
Have you tried it ?

Thanks.
December 01, 2006 07:54PM
Hi Jim,
>>I thought that the advantage of Java was portability, and I don't undersand why there is one version of wordrider per OS ?
>>Can you run any byte code on any platform (with the relevant JVM) ?
Yes. Here is some relevant info: [en.wikipedia.org] and here is some info how JVM/byte code works : [en.wikipedia.org], eventually [en.wikipedia.org]

>>I found a compiler that contend to compile Java byte code into machine code : [gcc.gnu.org]
>>Do you think it is searious ?
>>Have you tried it ?
I did not. It has very limited support of Java libraries and I read an article with a speed comparison where GCC was slower than Sun's JVM.

Vity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2006 07:56PM by Vity.
jim
December 02, 2006 12:49PM
Thanks Vity,

Sorry, I asked you twice the same question because I didn't see the answer on the page 2.
jim
January 10, 2007 08:56PM
Hi Vity,

I wish you an happy new year 2007.

I am starting using Netbeans and I have a few questions about the RAD function :

- Is it only possible to create jFrames and jPanels with the RAD tool ? is there the same limitation on IDEA ?
- If I want to create a jTabbedPanel inside a jFrame, with tabs defiened into a different file, I won't see the design with the elipse Netbeans fonction. Is there a way to do something modular with Netbeans ?
For the moment I add manualy the call of the jPannels containted into a jFrame, by including a "jTabbedPane1.add(new Panel1());" in the constructor, but I don't whether it is clean.
-The Netbeans documentation is very limited on there web site. Is there an other site that gives more sophisticated examples ?

Thanks.

Jim.
January 10, 2007 09:35PM
Hi Jim,
>
> I wish you an happy new year 2007.
>

Happy New Yeat to you too.

> I am starting using Netbeans and I have a few
> questions about the RAD function :
>
> - Is it only possible to create jFrames and
> jPanels with the RAD tool ? is there the same
> limitation on IDEA ?

I wouldn't call it as a limitation. JFrame and JPanel are main containers for storing components. IDEA supports inserting components into JPanels only.

> - If I want to create a jTabbedPanel inside a
> jFrame, with tabs defiened into a different file,
> I won't see the design with the elipse Netbeans
> fonction. Is there a way to do something modular
> with Netbeans ?

I am sorry, I don't know. I never used Netbeans. I don't use any designer either. I prefer manual coding smiling smiley.

> For the moment I add manualy the call of the
> jPannels containted into a jFrame, by including a
> "jTabbedPane1.add(new Panel1());" in the
> constructor, but I don't whether it is clean.
It's "almost" clean. It's correct, but you won't be able to see any components inside jtabbedpane - try this:
Container pane = new Panel1();
pane.add(new JButton("OK"));
tabbedPane.addTab("Tab 1", null, pane,
"Does nothing");

> -The Netbeans documentation is very limited on
> there web site. Is there an other site that gives
> more sophisticated examples ?

what about this: [www.netbeans.org], or this [www.netbeans.org] or this [www.netbeans.org]smiling smiley

Vity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 09:38PM by Vity.
jim
January 11, 2007 01:17PM
Thanks Vity
AE
July 26, 2009 06:21PM
I'm wondering if it's really that easy to make plugins (from a template). I downloaded a demo version of IntelliJ IDEA but don't get where to start and where to get the right menu (from template tutorial you posted here) including "new plugin" button from. I'm a bit confused.
November 12, 2020 03:02PM
BEEM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> I managed to install NetBeans 5.5 on Linux,
> unfortunalty I was not able to install it on
> Windows Me. On Windows Me it says that it require
> rights (strange since on windows me the
> user/superuser don't exits as far as I know.
>
> Besides that it seems there are a lot of graphic
> libraries in the java world (Swing, SWT, AWT...)
> Can you find more testimonials for phenq tell me what are the advantaged/drawdacks
> of various solutions ? What do you use for
> Wordrider ? Which one is the more wide spread
> among developpers ?
>
> Thanks.
>
>

Java is extremely scalable and relatively easy to maintain. This has led to mass adoption by back-end web developers building web apps for large websites. It has been estimated that around 80% of the world’s largest websites use back-end web apps built with Java.

Java has also been used for emerging technologies like robotics, but the two uses above are the main ones. There are many reasons why Java has become the language of choice for these use cases, including:

Using the Java Virtual Machine program, Java can run on any pretty much any platform or operating system. This is known as ‘platform independence’, and it means that programs coded using Java only have to be written once.
Java is super scalable, which means that as a company grows and your web apps become more complicated, it’s very easy to keep the code running smoothly and bug-free.
Java is quite easy to learn, and it reads like English. This means that it is a language of choice for beginners. It is simple to use and easy to debug if necessary.
It offers out of the box memory management. This eliminates the need for third-party libraries, simplifying the programming process.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why you should learn how to code in Java. In the next section, we are going to have a look at the tools you will need to start discovering how to use Java.

[alvenda.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2020 07:55AM by JoeWilliams.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login