WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FRD and screen resolution

Posted by geomannie 
FRD and screen resolution
December 29, 2014 09:12PM
I have just bought a new laptop with a whopping 3200 x 1800 resolution (Dell XPS 15). Images are great but some programs such as FRD give a problem with the toolbar buttons and display fonts being a fixed pixel size and thus being too small to easily see.

I can foresee this becoming an increasingly problem as the laptop displays improve. I have tried decreasing the screen resolution to help legibility but FRD seems to over-ride the display setting and always present very small fonts, menus and toolbar buttons. The attached file illustrates how FRD looks on my new display.

Would it be possible for the developers to look at some way of fixing the display element sizes as a fixed proportion of the screen size rather than a number of pixels? Some programs (e.g. WinFF) seem to do this already and cope perfectly with the high screen resolution.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have

geomannie
Attachments:
open | download - FRD.jpg (300 KB)
Re: FRD and screen resolution
December 29, 2014 09:37PM
Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about this. It seems to be a limitation of Swing (the windowing and graphics part of Java) – it doesn't properly support high DPI.

You could try the "Windows" look&feel from Options > Preferences > UI settings, but that might have some other issues (such as looking ugly).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 09:38PM by ntoskrnl.
Re: FRD and screen resolution
December 29, 2014 09:46PM
Hi ntoskrnl

Thanks for your reply. I have tried all the display options including those you have suggested but none seems to give a good result. If its a limitation of Swing then I guess that I will have to live with the small font size.

Cheers

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login