WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Downloads keep failing even though links are valid

Posted by crackface 
Downloads keep failing even though links are valid
March 31, 2015 09:17PM
Hi -

Long time user of FRD. A number for months ago (I don't remember, but I'll say 6-12) I suddenly started getting failed downloads for otherwise valid links using a paid Rapidgator.net and a paid Uploaded.to account. Sometimes the failures would happen right away, sometimes they would download some, and then fail. Quite often if I retry enough times I can get a given link to download. But unfortunately like the other day where I was downloading several 1GB links, there was no chance because of how often they fail. It *may* happen more when I download 5 at a time (vs. 1), but I'm not certain of that. Free links from other sites usually work OK, but I'm always only downloading one at a time and they're small files. I've tried from a couple different computers, and I get the same thing. However when I manually download 5 large files at a time from either site just through my web browser, they work perfectly 100% of the time.

Any ideas what could be going on? I would have no problem reproducing this issue if there were logs, screenshots, etc. that someone needed to look into this. If there's additional info I can provide, I'd be happy to. I can even take a video showing the problem occur.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Re: Downloads keep failing even though links are valid
April 01, 2015 01:02PM
These kinds of problems are usually caused by connection issues. Which error messages do you get?

You could try downloading the same files using your browser to see if the downloads only fail in FRD.
April 06, 2015 12:01AM
No visible error message, the bar just goes red. Files always download fine in my browser.
April 06, 2015 07:45AM
Could you attach the log file after an error? (Help > Browse to log file)
April 08, 2015 05:26PM
Sure. Just tried with (5) 1GB files from Rapidgator. 2 failed right away stating "ERROR - Invalid Rapidgator account login information", and a 3rd failed midway stating "ERROR - Connection reset". See screenshot below:

I should note that I had a buddy of mine that lives several towns away try these same downloads with FRD, and ran into virtually the same thing. I don't think it's our connection.

Logfile attached.

Also a friendly reminder that I believe this happens with uploaded.to as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 05:28PM by crackface.
Attachments:
open | download - app.log (4.3 KB)
April 08, 2015 05:59PM
"Invalid login information" means that you have enabled the respective premium plugin but the login details are not valid.

"Connection reset" indicates some sort of a connection problem, either on your side or the server's. This error comes from the TCP layer and unfortunately there's nothing FRD can do about it.
April 09, 2015 01:05PM
Thanks ntoskrnl, sorry in advance for the long post, but want to give you as much detail as possible.....

The invalid login information message is incorrect, as 3 out of the 5 Rapidgator worked under the same premium account, kicked off at the same time, though again 1 of those 3 failed part way through due to Connection Reset. 99.9% of the time, retrying those with the invalid login will work after usually 1-5 tries. The same goes for the Connection Reset ones, can either retry it manually 1-5 times, or just let it work through the time delayed self retry.

I fully understand your assessment on the Connection Reset error, but I'll note a couple things:
1) In a 6 month period or more, I've downloaded quite a few Rapidgator and Uploaded.to links, and 100% of the time these interrupts have never once happened when downloading the link directly through the web browser. DISCLAIMER: I don't mean the following statement with the "I know everything and you don't" attitude that many people in my position have, but I've been an engineer in IT for 10+ years and feel very confident I have my home network extremely stable, and know that my ISP connection has also been very stable for some time. I show absoutely no other signs of network connectivity issues with any other applications or processes at any other time.

2) That's why I had my friend try the exact same (5) 1GB Rapidgator links, who lives in a house about 40 mins away from me with a different ISP and using the same Rapidgator login details. He had virtually the exact same thing happen to him. 2 links failed right away with the credentials error, and a 3rd failed part way through (presumably with the Connection Reset error). The part way through one cycled through a time delay and eventually picked back up and finished. The 2 with failed credentials took several manual retries (It sounded like approximately 1-5) and they finally kicked in.

And I'll remind you this has been going on approximately 6-12 months. Shame on me for not reporting the first few instances to see if it correlated with a release. Before then, this app worked flawlessly with many downloads from both Rapidgator and Uploaded.to.

Is there anything else I can test or provide that would help isolate the issue?
1) Can I post (5) 1GB dummy files to Rapidshare for you to try and repro with?
2) Should I setup (10) 1 GB dummy files, kick of 5 with my browser, and immediately kick off 5 with FRD and validate the FRD ones have some issues while the browser ones work fine?
3) I'm not sure if you guys have premium acccounts to all those sites, but I'd be happy to share my Rapidgator ID and a temporary password via a private message for a short duration while you attempt to repro.
4) I could probably write a script that checks the (5) Rapidgator links every second or so and logs success or failure while I try the downloads in FRD. This should prove any connection issues or lack thereof. Would that be useful?
5) Anything else I can provide?

Sorry to be a pain, please let me know if there's somewhere else we can go with this.
April 09, 2015 03:19PM
Okay, I think I know what causes the "invalid login" issue – RapidGator seems to give an error message if you (try to) login too many times in a short period of time. Currently, the plugin logs in for each download separately, which will likely trigger this error if you start many downloads at the same time. Plugin v1.1.7 should fix this.

As for the connection reset, it doesn't seem like any changes have been made to the relevant parts of the code since at least 2009. Usually it's some sort of a network issue. RapidGator could have some issues on their end as well. You could try #2 to do one final test if it's not too much of a hassle.

Other than that I can't think of anything else to try. I guess it's not a critical problem, because FRD will automatically retry downloads that fail due to connection issues. You can play with the settings in Options > Preferences > Connections tab > Error handling. I take it that RapidGator also supports resuming for premium users so that the download can be resumed (as opposed to restarted from the beginning) when a connection error occurs?
July 20, 2015 05:50PM
I am a long time user of FRD and use it ONLY for youtube. Everything was fine until a few days ago when I re-installed FRD on a newly formatted computer using Win 8. It installed ok and updated well. It does not download anything from youtube (tried several files). the progress turns red, the est.time says: "ERROR - No string between "'url":"'and"' was found" and size says "unknown" I really don't know what it is about because it worked for years. I also use the latest version. Please help me.

Thank you,

Setiawati

PS I searched for this topic before posting

Hi I am back. I see no one has replied. Well it still doesn't work even though I have downloaded the latest version and even sent a donation. I am now downloading with savefrom.net and it download OK. Please send me an email if you can resolve the problem. I am sorry but i have been using and donating for more than 15 years without a hitch until now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 01:53PM by Setiawati.
July 22, 2015 10:53PM
youtube plugin works fine for me

provide details and the youtube plugin settings you are trying to download with
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login