WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Way to copy the queue to another computer?

Posted by slickrcbd 
Way to copy the queue to another computer?
August 11, 2015 11:28AM
I just picked up an old game that doesn't like Java running in the background. Having FRD or any other java program running causes it to crash a lot, and exiting all Java-related things seems to fix the problem such that the game doesn't crash anymore.
However, I just started downloading something from a slow free server.

Is there an easy way to transfer the current queue from my Windows 7 computer to my old Windows XP/98SE dual boot computer? I used to run FRD 0.7x and the early 0.8 versions on it years ago, and it has plenty of hard drive space. Can its old1ghz processor with 512mb of RAM still handle FRD acceptably? I figure the old thing can handle the downloads while I go gaming on the newer computer. It's main job right now is a file server for more modern systems and a print server for my parallel printer. Well, that and playing my old games from the mid to late '90 and early 2000's.
Re: Way to copy the queue to another computer?
August 11, 2015 03:21PM
512MB RAM might be a stretch, but you could try. One thing to note is that Windows XP does not support the latest version of Java (8), though FRD works fine with Java 7 as well (but not Java 6).

You simply need to copy the configuration directory to the second computer. You can find this in %AppData%\VitySoft\FRD. Copy the whole VitySoft folder.

There's also portable mode, which could be useful if you need to move FRD frequently. In this mode, the configuration directory is called "config" and it's stored in the installation directory. You can enable this by uncommenting (removing the '#' character from) the line that says "#--portable" in startup.properties.
August 11, 2015 11:25PM
Few years ago I ran FRD (0.8u3?) on < 128MB debian+fvwm VM, as testing environment it worked fine. I sometimes also run FRD 0.9u4 on 256MB WinXP VM, Java 7, to test it under Windows environment, also works fine. I also have 384MB Lubuntu VM, Java 8, to test FRD with VPN configuration. As test environments I keep the download queue items < 100 items. So 512MB is quite plenty IMO.
August 12, 2015 09:29AM
Thank you, I don't know why I couldn't find the files in appdata to copy.
August 12, 2015 09:33AM
If you keep download list short, it should work fine also on the older comps

-------------------------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login