WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fatal Error at launch

Posted by RolandKorg 
Fatal Error at launch
February 01, 2016 11:35PM
Hi.

I have been happily using the app for a year or two. All of a sudden, when launching it, i get this message:

"Error.
Fatal error.
This is unexpected error, which can lead to application instability. An application restart may help. Please report this error to the authors."

When i close this dialog box, the app is open, but links that are activated do not start. They remain in QUEUED status.

I have Quit and restarted the app, my finder, and my computer many times, but the problem remains.

When i try to send the Report through the app, i get an error saying there are no enabled connection settings for creating connection. I imagine that's the root of the problem, but i don't think i ever changed anything, and i'm unsure where to go to fix this.

When i now look at the INTERNET CONNECTION SETTINGS, the entire panel is blank. Not sure if it was like this when it was working....

----------

Mac OS 10.11.3 / El Capitan
Re: Fatal Error at launch
February 02, 2016 02:11AM
Could you attach the log file? (Help > Browse to log file)
February 02, 2016 08:06AM
There she is. Log file attached. [Thanks for the instruction on how to find it....]
Attachments:
open | download - app.log (3.8 KB)
February 02, 2016 04:40PM
It seems that the database has been corrupted for some reason. It contains the download list and history and some settings. If you're okay with deleting all of that, you can delete the database file to start fresh. I'm not sure how you could salvage the contents of the database. Perhaps you can still right click the links in the program and copy the URLs?

I'm not sure where the database is located on OS X, but the log file says it's in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/FRD/frd.odb. You can delete the whole FRD folder to get rid of all settings and configuration.
February 03, 2016 05:46PM
More weirdness. Can't find the Application Support folder via that route. Went to Finder > Go > Go to Folder and found Application Support, but it was not in the Users directory, it was just in the Mac HD line.... Then, there was no FRD folder within. And a search finds no "frd.odb" file! Is my system screwy or what?
February 03, 2016 06:03PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not very familiar with OS X. Perhaps the folder is hidden and doesn't show up in Finder. In that case you might have to use the terminal. Also double check that you replaced "username" with your account's name (which may or may not be what you see when logging in).

edit: You should get to the correct Application Support folder if you do Go > Go to Folder and type in ~/Library/Application Support. If "FRD" isn't visible, you can try typing in ~/Library/Application Support/FRD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 06:06PM by ntoskrnl.
February 03, 2016 06:18PM
Hey. Yes, i found it with the ~/Library.... search. I was restarting as you were posting this.

But, after finding that file and deleting it, then restarting, the app Launches without the Fatal Error message, but download links are still stuck in the QUEUED status.

Somehow, i've also changed my Skin/Appearance from what i'm used to, and the contextual menu has changed. I no longer even see a Force Download option....
February 03, 2016 06:31PM
Try deleting the whole FRD folder. This will reset the program to the state which it is in when you first install it.
February 03, 2016 07:23PM
Still says QUEUED when a new link is inserted!

Could this be a Connection issue? I mean, i'm online, and internet is working fine, but is there something in FRD that needs to be (re-)configured to work with my system?

In Preferences... do..... Oh, wait. I think i found it.

In Preferences > Connections, "use default system connection" was unchecked. I checked it, and clicked OK, and that seems to have resolved the problem. But, i think your suggestions to trash the FRD folder contributed to this, because i definitely checked/unchecked this box once or twice before posting about this problem.

BUT — now that the QUEUED error is resolved, i have download errors for half of the links, even though those same links work with my browser and in @#$%&......
February 03, 2016 07:29PM
What errors do you get? It could be a plugin issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login