WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Downloading over 4GB?

Posted by maxedi 
Downloading over 4GB?
August 01, 2012 01:57PM
I tried to download this programme:- BBC iPlayer

The programme is in HD and is around 4.25GB.
Each time it gets to 4GB it stops. I believe it's something to do with Vista or Windows 7 limiting files to 4GB on a 32bit system.

- is there a way around this to download more than 4GB?

- can the BBC iPlayer plug-in have an option to download in a lower quality. At the moment it will only download the highest available quality. If this programme could be downloaded in a lower quality, the file size would be under the 4GB limit.

I'd be really grateful for your help as the programme will be removed from the BBC iPlayer very soon.

Thank you & best wishes!
Re: Downloading over 4GB?
August 01, 2012 02:56PM
This is likely a deeply rooted issue in our RTMP plugin. I'll try to resolve this. Thanks for reporting.
August 01, 2012 06:37PM
The only place where I could find a counter that might have something to do with this was the "bytes received" counter in the RTMP plugin. It's a 32-bit integer.

Unfortunately the RTMP protocol specifies that it's a 32-bit integer, and changing all internal handling of this counter to long doesn't change anything, as it still has to be casted to int in the end.

I doubt Flash Player can handle this video properly either, but testing it involves watching this 4-hour program. (I actually watched more than half of it last Friday. smiling smiley ) I might end up having to do that though.

If I can't solve this by Saturday, I'll post a BBC plugin that will download a lower quality stream for you.
August 02, 2012 12:05AM
Thank you for all your efforts with this.
The lower quality addition would be a huge bonus too!
Very best wishes winking smiley
August 02, 2012 11:47PM
Would it be possible to change the BBC plugin to allow lower quality downloads sometime today as the programme that's over 4gb which won't download expires around midnight (Friday night).
I hope it's possible.
Very best wishes!!
August 03, 2012 06:43AM
OK, here is a version of the plugin that will download the second highest quality stream instead of the best one. In this case it produces a ~2.5GB file.

To use it, drop it into the Plugins folder in FRD's installation directory, and restart FRD. When you don't want to use it anymore, just delete the file from the Plugins directory, restart FRD, and update plugins.
Attachments:
open | download - bbc.frp (7.4 KB)
August 04, 2012 10:02PM
Amazing. Thank you.
You're a genius; if only I had a fraction of your computer know-how.
Thanks so much again & very best wishes winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login