WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Freerapid on Java 9

Posted by Vity 
Freerapid on Java 9
July 07, 2017 09:50PM
@Ntoskrnl, @Tong2Shot, @Birchie
Hi, I spent a half a day checking if it works with on JDK 9. I can say sadly no.
I found 3 problems so far:
1) Plugin framework stopped to work, it has problems with loading plugin dependencies (plugin -> another plugin) - I guess Jigsaw is responsible (@see [blog.codefx.org])
I guess it won't work without direct fixes inside that framework
2) CompoundUndoManager is broken , they started to send some another event content (line 58)
3) javax.xml.bind (*JAXB*) is not available, the recommended fix is to add --add-modules java.xml.bind to JVM parameters, but it will require special new build ... My suggestion is to add jaxb directly to classpath, but I am not sure if it won't break JDK 8..

Let me know if you find something another...
Any ideas are welcome.

-------------------------------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2017 09:52PM by Vity.
Re: Freerapid on Java 9
July 08, 2017 08:38AM
Re: JAXB, the correct solution is probably to include the JAXB JAR with FRD, because it will be removed from JRE in a future release.

Where do we use JAXB?

It seems like they have also fixed this bug which I reported back in 2014: [bugs.openjdk.java.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 08:39AM by ntoskrnl.
July 08, 2017 08:47AM
We use it eg. in parsing XML info about updates.
Maybe the best idea is to replace it eg. with Jackson (https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-dataformat-xml) But I see possible problem with our very old jackson 1.8 version.
What do you think about JPF? I guess it's the worst problem. It will be somewhere inside..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 08:49AM by Vity.
July 08, 2017 09:08AM
I think I fixed the JPF problem. I'm not exactly sure why that piece of code was there, but now I don't see any issues on either Java 8 or 9.
July 08, 2017 09:10AM
Great! I am working on the removing JAXB and upgrading Jackson. Hopefully it will be done till the lunch smiling smiley.
Make sure you are using plugin which is using another plugin (eg. recaptcha or anything else)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 09:10AM by Vity.
July 08, 2017 09:16AM
Yeah, it seems to work now. Maybe you can do more testing to make sure there are no issues. The code which I removed was copied from the superclass, so it must have been there for some reason, but it seems to work without it.
July 08, 2017 09:19AM
I added the code in rev 4827 to fix some resource loading issue apparently... I wish I could remember what issue so I could test it. smiling smiley
July 08, 2017 09:56AM
@Ntoskrnl: Very weird, it looks like "|| fileName.endsWith(".frp")" was causing the problem. Dunno why.
As I remember according to my experience Turkish locale is shitty and sometimes it converts badly strings when using lowercase/uppercase operations. So I replaced the code back without the bad part. But great catch anyway.

You probably also noticed those warnings about using reflection to enable better security...
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
That won't be easy to enable the higher security feature on J9.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 09:59AM by Vity.
July 08, 2017 10:29AM
Yes, I actually fixed the illegal access thing already – Java 9 has unlimited cryptography by default.

edit: It seems that there are other locations where this occurs (e.g. in JTattoo LAF). Those could be more problematic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 11:05AM by ntoskrnl.
July 08, 2017 11:40AM
Vity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe the best idea is to replace it eg. with
> Jackson
> (https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-dataformat-x
> ml) But I see possible problem with our very old
> jackson 1.8 version.

There are some annoying bugs in jackson 1.8, I don't know whether they have been fixed in 2.x series, I haven't tried.

According to: [github.com] we can use 1.x and 2.x side-by-side. But removing 1.8 and upgrading it to 2.x is also fine. We only use jackson probably on a dozen or so plugins, that can easily be fixed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login