WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAS support please?

Posted by marjorie 
NAS support please?
April 22, 2010 11:14AM
Hi Vitty, Tiago, Javi, Arthur, Alex, Benpico, Ntoskrni, RickCL, Eterad, Thumb, Lukiz, Kajda, Jirka, Smisek, Jpex. TommyTom, Meow, Tonda, Prathap. ATomSoft.

Been using your downloader 24/7 for three years or so now, no moneyed donation so far but not a day passes without me feeling gratitude to everyone of you, Good People!

I recently bought ASUS RT-N13U with the intention to using the USB as the storage for the Freerapid Downloader. Really, the prospect of using the FRD 24/7 on the router with the computer turned off made me want the router so bad I put off buying the much more needed new monitor. Imagine the electricity bills I could save. And the steady flow of dead psu's I could stop.

I cannot use the FRD on the router! It didn't support the FRD.RT-N13U Support page

Now I turn to you, People to help me get out of this bad investment and turn it to the wise, green life turn I wanted it to be. Can you please make a version of the FRD so I can use it on my RT-N13U?

Seems I'm not alone in this vigil though. Other people are trying to shift pressure on their computer to other less wattage NAS servers: The Best selling Qnap NAS

Thank you People, for allowing this post.

Thank you People, for your FRD .83 and the steady supply of pluggins updates. No other downloader is served by more dedicated people.
Re: NAS support please?
April 22, 2010 01:04PM
Thanks for your kind words. smiling smiley

Unfortunately FreeRapid is a Java application, and needs JRE to run. Java is only supplied for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris operating systems.

Besides, Java applications are usually quite heavy on the CPU and memory (FRD is no exception) so I highly doubt a NAS or router could run it anyway.
April 23, 2010 03:01AM
Oh, okay ntoskrni.

Thank you for your fast response.

Somebody says she has a wee drop of memory on board though, something like: "... 4Mb flash and 32Mb RAM...." I guess that's not even near FRD memory threshold, is it. That must've been why various symbian-supported downloaders never work.

That's also why the FRD didn't work on a winmo phone. She started, looked around and saw there's not enough juice left for her and went back to sleep.

Ah well. Thanks again ntoskrni.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 03:14AM by marjorie.
April 23, 2010 04:43AM
Yes, you are right. FRD uses about 50-100MB of RAM during extensive operation, so a device would need at least 128MB of memory to even get close to being able to run it.
April 23, 2010 12:31PM
Aye, aye, Sir.

Back to plan B then: hunt for low watt Atom machines.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login