WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Try next proxy when error occurs hot smiley

Posted by Strix 
Try next proxy when error occurs hot smiley
August 09, 2009 01:04PM
Hello!

Some people already said it (more or less / in other words) but I terribly miss the feature so I'm gonna mention it myself to make it even more visible winking smiley

So, the problem is: I spent several hours looking for fast / good working proxies to add to my list. It worked great that evening (downloading 8 files from megaupload at the same time is cool smiling smiley ) but about two days later only 3 or 4 of them still worked. So, using the same list, trying to download 8 files resulted in most of them being stuck, usellesly reconecting to the same (unworking) proxies over and over again.

My suggestion is: Please, add a feature like that:
Try next proxy in the list when download error occurs X times. (exclude usual waiting time)

And maybe also:
Don't use proxies that failed to perform X or more downloads.
Re: Try next proxy when error occurs hot smiley
August 09, 2009 01:53PM
you can try this - run FRD this way (once):
java -jar -DdisableConnectionOnException=true frd.jar

-------------------------------------

August 09, 2009 02:05PM
Thanks smiling smiley Though I'm not sure if it fully resolves the problem (especially the first part - proxy cycling, not connection disabling)? Anyway, an option in preferences would be nice winking smiley
August 09, 2009 02:11PM
Proxies are already cycling.
This is the algorithm:
Language: Java
public List<ConnectionSettings> getRotatedEnabledConnections() { synchronized (connectionSettingsLock) { final List<ConnectionSettings> list = new ArrayList<ConnectionSettings>(availableConnections.size()); for (ConnectionSettings settings : availableConnections) { if (settings.isEnabled() && !settings.isDefault()) { list.add(settings); } }   if (list.size() > 1) {//rotate enabled proxies Collections.rotate(list, rotate++); } if (useDefaultConnection() && defaultConnectionSettings.isEnabled()) list.add(0, defaultConnectionSettings); return list; } }

The option disableConnectionOnException is still experimental -> no GUI.

-------------------------------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 02:19PM by Vity.
August 11, 2009 03:25PM
Thanks a lot, this definitelly works better than standard run (altough it doesn't fix my problem completely, it helps and I understand it's under development now).

Anyway, I have two more ideas related to the problem:

First, I would greatly appreciate if there was an option to cycle proxies also in case the download doesn't get an error yet it just freezes (usually in the "GETTING" state) for an optional period of time (It would be super cool if you'd manage to make this option usable also in the case when the download completely freezes in the middle of a file - so it would just switch to another proxy and finish the download (you said you plan to add an option to continue incomplete downloads in some future release, didn't you? winking smiley. Of course, this shouldn't apply to the standard 15 min waiting time... I can imagine this will be a b*tch to code but it would make me really happy winking smiley ).

The second suggestion should be much easier to include - I'd like to use one connection (e.g. the default one) for two simultaneous downloads but FR just doesn't allow me to (not even through the "force download" option). Before you ask - No, I'm not that dumb so I would try to download two files from one host at the same time - I want to be able to download let's say one file from Rapidshare and another from Megaupload using the same IP (which is definitely possible).

Thank you in advance smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login