WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hot smiley Badly Needed Feature never mentioned here

Posted by giggedyguy 
hot smiley Badly Needed Feature never mentioned here
September 21, 2009 07:12AM
For the last 5 months I've been using this solely to open non-clickable links in Firefox so that I can add them to Downloadthemall. Like almost every download accelerator, DTA allows you to break up a download into segments. I get over 2MBytes/s with it as well as other ones that implement segmenting. But with FRD my downloads never reach let alone stay above 700Kbytes (usually less than 200). I am logged into RS Premium, just so you know so my speed is not being capped.

Could you pretty, pretty please add that feature to .83 before finalizing it? It would save me lots of time since the way I've been doing it requires click save dialogs twice hundreds of times for large amounts of links.

Superb program, as you already know! thumbs upthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 07:16AM by giggedyguy.
Re: hot smiley Badly Needed Feature never mentioned here
September 21, 2009 09:14AM
The speed is not FRD problem - see [wordrider.net]
Segment downloading is out of scope of FRD.

-------------------------------------

September 21, 2009 11:47AM
Well that looks promising, but I used the same source to test out my speeds (didn't think to make screenshots) and downloadthemall was more than 3 times the speed of FRD. Based on the screenshot you showed me, FRD should be just as fast. I wonder if there's a setting I could have messed up? Please let me know if you can think of a potential source of my speed problem. Thanks!
September 21, 2009 01:04PM
No, there is no special option for speed.
It probably depends on your internet provider, with a level of aggregation.

-------------------------------------

September 21, 2009 01:51PM
Then the speed should be the same, is what I'm saying. Different program, different speed. Nothing to do with my IP. Maybe those developers of Downloadthemall did something special. Anyway, that link you gave me I thought was a post of someone's lan speed with FRD, not internet.

I thought to myself "that's the speed of 2 computers physically connected via lan, not an internet connection." But then I went to the Czech site and saw what they were talking about. Turns out that they were testing out FOS . Such speeds are impossible with current cable and dsl connections. So FRD had an advantage in this case because the connection was unlimited. 100Mbit vs my own 16 Mbit connection. Divide, for instance, the 4.2Mbytes displayed on one of the connections in the screenshot by 1/16 (16Mbit vs 100Mbit) and you'd get 262KB/s, instead of 4.2 Mbytes.

Still, if you yourself are getting over 1MB or even 2 with normal broadband, then FRD is working properly for you, but not for me and I can't blame the program. Like I indicated before, same link, same time significantly slower speed with FRD vs DTA.

Given enough time, I'll find out what's going on. If it wasn't for FRD, it would be a lot harder for me to use multiple RS links. I'd have to manually paste each non-clickable url in the address bar. Imagine doing that for a 6Gig file broken up into nearly 100 Rars. So FRD comes in very handy. Just have to find out what's blocking it from getting the results it should.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login