WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watch while downloading

Posted by tommytom 
Watch while downloading
March 22, 2010 10:06AM
OK, you prolly seen the title and said NOOB.
But, if the service allows resume support, its an avi file, and you download the end + start and can open the avi for playing WITHOUT locking the file, then you should be able to do this.

possibly have an option to popup a notice when a avi file is "ready for viewing" with configurable variables (end downloaded, enough speed to support watching without stopping, enough "cache" data to even start)

of course, this all depends on the file not getting locked, how FRD works, and a player that wont lock the file (there can be a config for supported players to open it with in the popup, etc).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 10:07AM by tommytom.
Re: Watch while downloading
March 22, 2010 10:08AM
You ain't TommyTom from SRN by any chance?
March 22, 2010 01:36PM
of course =P
you aren't ntoskrnl from SRN by chance are you? (I seen your name in plugin updates. Whole reason I got on this forums to see if it was really you).
March 22, 2010 01:41PM
..and they lived together till the end of their lives...

ad Subj: I think we don't use any lock. It's readable. Maybe I am wrong.

-------------------------------------

March 22, 2010 01:54PM
Yes, I'm from SRN too.
March 22, 2010 02:04PM
ntoskrnl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I'm from SRN too.

ah, cool. another side of you I didn't know =P

Vity Wrote:
> ..and they lived together till the end of their
> lives...
>
>
> ad Subj: I think we don't use any lock. It's
> readable. Maybe I am wrong.

well, that's good news. but, does FRD allow to make a whole 00'ed file and just download the beginning and end?
it wouldn't work right if it's not a complete-sized file (you can't download 200kb of the beginning, 200kb of the end, and try to stuff 699mb in between on a 400kb file)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 02:05PM by tommytom.
March 22, 2010 02:29PM
Try Options > Preferences > Misc tab > Advanced > Pre-allocate files before downloading.
March 22, 2010 02:39PM
ntoskrnl Wrote:
> Try Options > Preferences > Misc tab > Advanced >
> Pre-allocate files before downloading.

hmm, ok so then if we have the option "download first and last part of AVI files first" option that forces that feature on for AVI files with resume supported services, then we only have one problem to solve (if it is one). Just make sure the player doesn't block FRD from adding more data to it while playing.

with that one feature, we could "rig" it up ourselfs to play the file while it's downloading. would be a nice feature to eventually have it notify you when it's ready and open the player or you though.

edit:
ugh. need sleep. too many typos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 02:40PM by tommytom.
April 06, 2010 11:12AM
Hmm... well after pre-allocating and just trying to play without an index (cant skip around without index/EOF).
Doesn't work with BS.Player, as it complains about no codec (which is lame as it will play if you rename to a proper extension).
Windows Media Player 12 complains that the file is in use or already playing (lol).

I'm thinking this isn't possible.
I thought it was because you can do this with utorrent, rar parts, and a player that supports playing right from rar (bs.player is one). The problem with that though was you could block a piece download when playing an incomplete part (since torrent piece aren't downloaded sequentially).

I figured FRD wouldn't have a problem with this as you are downloading sequentially, but the problem is that there is only one file, so you can't trade off playing/downloading like you can with rar part files (say, the first 20 parts are finished out of 48, you can play half the movie as the files aren't locked and are complete).

So I guess this is a big "nevermind", unless you know of a way to NOT lock the files (I highly doubt it) or to give a player the same read/write access as FRD (dunno HOW you could do that) so they don't fight for access.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 11:13AM by tommytom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login