WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature Request: Convert host names to IP to prevent blocking

Posted by jrg3 
Feature Request: Convert host names to IP to prevent blocking
June 03, 2011 08:42PM
Hi:

I would like to ask for a new feature (perhaps a rare one, but not too hard to achieve): add an option to change the domain name in requests to their IP address. I need this in order to prevent DNS blocks against file hosting services and also bypass proxy deny rules (by word or domain names). Could be globally applied or just to a service.

Thanks a lot !
Re: Feature Request: Convert host names to IP to prevent blocking
June 04, 2011 10:36AM
I can't see how this would work as converting a domain name to an IP address involves a DNS lookup.
June 06, 2011 04:23PM
ntoskrnl, sorry if my explanation wasn't too clear, i assumed it was enough, and -like a little child- that you knew what I was thinking about) smiling smiley ...

I want to change domain names of the file hosting services (FHS) to their IPs because most of the time FHS are been blocked using their domain names (their IPs are dynamic (mostly), with a lot of mirrors) with ACLs in a proxy server. Of course this is an easy way to block it, and the also the easiest way to bypass it...

The hard way (as already you think) is when they are blocked using DNS (by ISP or central organization admins) but it can be "avoided" if you configure a local DNS server and resolve the real address using another DNS server (or by hand) what can be a real pain in the ass, but it will be only my problem...

So, this can be a future with few users (mainly for admins), but it's easy to achieve, I think...

Sorry again, and sorry for my language that it's a bit rusty...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 04:33PM by jrg3.
June 14, 2011 08:35AM
Very few users are able to setup a local DNS, or even know what it means. This is quite a marginal feature. We don't have much time for development at the moment, but we might consider this if it's easy to implement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login