WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use FRD with TOR

Posted by briansdad1 
Use FRD with TOR
July 26, 2013 10:49PM
I'm not skilled at network and proxy setups. Can anyone tell me how I can use FRD with TOR? I already use TOR bundle with firefox (that came with it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 11:25PM by briansdad1.
Re: Use FRD with TOR
July 27, 2013 10:19AM
It's pretty simple – Tor is a SOCKS proxy which runs on localhost. Just start Tor and set up FRD's proxy settings this way:

Attachments:
open | download - tor-proxy.png (36.8 KB)
July 27, 2013 09:27PM
Thanx! Works like a charm. Who knew it was so easy hot smiley
July 31, 2013 11:21PM
Hmmmm . . . doesn't work anymore. My FRD dialog box is configured as you have above. TOR > Settings > Advanced > TOR control is set to "Use TCP connection (Control Port) - Address: [my IP]:9051" NOTE: not "9050". I tried setting FRD to 9051 (with restart) but that didn't help. I tried setting TOR to "Configure ControlPort automatically" and setting port in FRD to 9050 and 9051. Nothing worked. Now what?
August 03, 2013 09:59AM
The control port is for controlling Tor via telnet – you can leave it to the default and it shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Seems that recent versions of Tor might use a different port for the SOCKS proxy. Try setting the port in FRD's settings to 9150.

If that doesn't work, check if there is a line that says "socksport auto" in Tor settings > Advanced > Edit current torrc. If so, remove that line, save, and try with port 9050 in FRD again.
August 03, 2013 04:27PM
Thanks, I'll give this a try. Additionally, can I use the Tor connection to get around the "not available in your country" issue (should I post this last question to another thread?)
August 03, 2013 04:39PM
Yes, usually you can get around such blocks – but you need to set Tor to use an exit node in a specific country. Add a line that says "ExitNodes {ru}" in torrc (see above), where "ru" is the two-letter country code.
August 03, 2013 04:47PM
After changing the localhost sock to 9150, I get a "connection refused: connect" error. Default system connection works, however.

"If that doesn't work, check if there is a line that says "socksport auto" in Tor settings > Advanced > Edit current torrc. If so, remove that line, save, and try with port 9050 in FRD again." ---
The file does not have the autosocks line, rather, it has "SocksPort 9050"

Tried 9050 again -- "ERROR - Error starting download". But, again, same file works on Default connection.

Want any screenshots?
August 03, 2013 06:53PM
"Error starting download" might be a plugin problem. It means that the download got as far as attempting the final download – in other words, the proxy worked for other page requests. Which plugin is in question? Can you post an example link? Is there something in the log (Help > Open log file)?
August 03, 2013 07:43PM
Tried with 9050 again for fresh log entry so I'd know which file attempt went with what log entry. This time, though, localhost worked! Same filesharing host too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login