WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#3: Use pre-allocation files before download feature

Posted by Vity 
#3: Use pre-allocation files before download feature
May 02, 2009 10:28PM
This feature is very useful if you want to work with your downloaded file.
If you enable this option, the whole file will be "pre-created" - with a complete file size before downloading (it takes a little bit more time to create empty XXXMB ). Such file contains much less fragments and it leads to less fragmented disk space - so it increases a speed of working with file. See more about disk fragmentation here [en.wikipedia.org] .

This feature is highly recommended to users with notebook.

-------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2009 10:30PM by Vity.
Re: #3: Use pre-allocation files before download feature
January 20, 2020 10:55PM
This is an excellent, excellent idea, and works in the real world. I used to have to collect multiple gigabyte data files, and this kept the disk so much tidier, and drastically reduced the load on the filesystem part of the OS to constantly find new blocks on the disk in real time.

Since this post is over 10 years old, can we assume that it's been implemented?
Is just me?
October 21, 2022 06:31PM
Hello,
I have visited the site several times in the last few months to try and find out if there is a problem with FRD for everyone, or if it is just me having a problem. Could anyone please let me know as there not many new posts here and I'm beginning to think the program is not functioning anymore. Maybe I am just being over optimistic by hoping I am wrong, but until someone lets me know I will carry on calling back here on the off chance someone else calls by with an answer. I tried sending Vity a message but nothing came back.
So please, if anyone can let me know I would be grateful.
Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login