FreeRapid's new name?

Posted by Vity 
Re: FreeRapid's new name?
August 13, 2010 12:49PM
Call it as "Universal downloader"
ra
August 13, 2010 06:14PM
It doesn't have to be named "something" downloader. Although FRD is a downloader, the word "downloader" sounds rather uncool and geeky, I think. So just leave that word out. If you do, a whole new array of possibilities opens up. For instance, you could use any catchy, single-word - even made-up word - name out of your imagination. Like Vuezee did, or eMule, etc. Those names stick in people's minds. Imagine if those same programs were named the "potent torrent client" or "the best peer-to-peer network client"... Weak names they would be. So, anyway, you get my point.

How about Vitiux or Vitia? :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 06:15PM by ra.
August 13, 2010 09:54PM
Vuezee? I think you mean Vuze. Which, it was popular WAY before that name when it was called Azureus.
IMO, it's popularity dropped immediately when uTorrent (finally, an alternative) came on the scene, and the name change did nothing but steer people even further away (at least in the communities I am in). Azureus/Vuze uses too much RAM so most people dropped it. The only reason they used it was because it was basically the only torrent client that wasn't garbage. uTorrent is easily the most popular torrent client and has "torrent" in it's name. It's so popular, a good majority of epople using linux will still use it in combination with WINE.

eMule isn't even an original name, it's the "eDonkey" knockoff. Once again, it because popular because of it's features, and not it's name.

While a fancy name does make it sound cooler, it doesn't make it a better app or make it more popular. What makes apps popular is good features, and that is was FRD has. We have over 100,000 users using FRD. That's pretty significant with a garbage name like "FreeRapid Downloader" considering everyone (but premium members) hates rapidshare. Even myself steered clear of the app because of this. Only through explaining and making people believe "it's not just for rapidshare, despite the name", do they even try it, which really hinders it's popularity.

I think a unique and cryptic name is not what FRD needs. It has already had a naming crysis (case in point).
Though, I do agree that "downloader" doesn't have to be used, but what other word is there?

Here are some popular software with some descriptive names (some even very "uncool"):
BWmeter (BandWidth Meter)
DUmeter (Download/Upload Meter)
Internet Download Manager (how uncool is that?)
Download Accelerator Plus (56k days...)

Some "cooler" names, but didn't make them more popular (features!):
Opera
Trillian
FireFox
xfire
Pidgin
Digsby

Some names that are slightly "cool" but also give an idea of what they do (keep in mind, they still ahve good features):
VirtualBox
AdMuncher
HD Tune
SmartFTP
CuteFTP
TVersity

I think the last list is best. Not super undescriptive, but also not overly descriptive.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 09:57PM by tommytom.
August 14, 2010 12:24PM
The best name I've seen here by far is OmniDownloader. It even rhymes slightly.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/omni-

Unfortunately programs usually change names because they aren't successful, and FRD with 1 million users is all but unsuccessful. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 12:24PM by ntoskrnl.
August 14, 2010 03:11PM
OmniDownloader = OD
Vity's Downloader = VD
Such bad abbreviations.. lol

I like Ultimate, Omni, and Universal Downloader.
Though, universal is a bit misleading as it is not universal by default, it has to be programmed in on a case to case basis (which, isn't universal IMO).

I'm tired so some random names:
File Hunter
No File is Safe
No File Left Behind
Get It, Got It, Good
File Saver (note: "life" is the same as "file" if you swap "L" and "F")
Download Anything (bit gimmicky as it obviously cant download anything, especially unsupported websites that are even hot-linkable)
ra
August 15, 2010 08:17AM
I like Omni too, how about OmniDown ?

A humorous name is "Veni Vidi Vity" (from Cesar's Veni Vidi Vici). It could lead to Vcubed or V3, without revealing its origin in veni vidi vity.

How about "The One Million Grabber"? referring to its user base size, and also suggesting $ 1M

edit: along the same vein: One Billion Grabber, One Trillion Grabber, etc.
ntoskrnl made two valid points: superior features and sheer size (of user base). He also stated that it's hard to convey the superiority of features - I couldn't argue against that, as it takes a long time to explain features. So, of the two points ntoskrnl made I'd choose sheer size to tout FRD with a new name. Hence the Million, Billion, Trillion word series. The other word, Grabber, is just an idea to avoid the uncoolness of the word Downloader.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 10:55AM by ra.
August 17, 2010 12:43AM
Vity's Very Vicious Fast File Fetcher
VVVFFF
V3F3

A name with "one million" in it based on user base will quickly be outgrown, IMO. Yet another name change...
October 29, 2010 04:16AM
how about Vity's NonStop Downloader or Vity's NonStop Grabber

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 04:17AM by aghoose.
October 29, 2010 04:21AM
vityD
October 29, 2010 08:15PM
I think it has a mighty fine reputation with the name it has now so I agree with all those who think it should stay the way it is. Like them 'rapid' never really had anything to do with RapidShare as far as I was concerned.

In fact 'rapid' was the reason I found FeeRapidDownloader. When I was searching for a multi-site downloader it was hard to know what keywords to use because there are so many sites out there. But a huge proportion of them contain the word (or links to) rapid that a search of 'rapid downloader' seemed the logical place to start. And what was the first result I got from that search? FreeRapidDownloader, that's what.

On the homepage it says: "It's an easy to use Java downloader that supports downloading from Rapidshare and other file-sharing services." This sort of marketing that connects the name FreeRapid with RapidShare could be changed so that FreeRapid means (quote Maxx) "rapidly download from several different websites at a time".

But if you really don't want 'rapid' to be associated with the name at all, then why not call it just plain old FRD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login