WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is This The End Of FRD?

Posted by Steve 
Is This The End Of FRD?
November 10, 2022 07:36PM
I'm not sure, but it looks (to me) like FRD is no longer working. I have tried updating the plug-in's and there is no connection to server. I also tried 'look for new version' and the same message arrived. This started on Win7 (I think it was 7) a few months ago, but the PC went wrong so now the new one has Win11 and the problem is still there.

I then came to the site to see if there was a new version and there is not. I then clicked the 'download' button anyway and got sent to a page which has no download option. It seems that the program has been removed (I have tried the above things several times over the past few months), but now it looks like it is either a case of starting to use torrents, or finding a program that will download from the BBC. Any suggestions? It may be a case of not enough donations to keep the site running. I am as guilty of that as (probably) a lot of people here. But sadly I think the time has come to search around for an alternative to FRD. That is a shame because it has been the most reliable program for years now. I wish the best of luck to the genius who put the thing together. I hope they will return at some point in the future and either update the FRD we have grown to love and enjoy, or put a new freeware program out here that will cover as many sites as this one does.
So I guess it is farewell and goodbye for the foreseeable future. I will still try calling back every now and again to look for any new developments, but after the few months it has been already I am not holding out a lot of hope.
Re: Is This The End Of FRD?
February 02, 2023 10:54PM
Works for me... I use version 1.0beta.
However, this forum seems quite dead and Vity and the major plugin developer tong2shot don't seem to be reachable easily... and I don't want to create a Twitter account just to get Vity's attention to my latest plugin request. I could mostly handle it myself if I could ask a few questions about setting up the compiler, and then spending some time learning Java...
February 02, 2023 11:01PM
Also, this forum was down from Monday last week and nobody seemed to notice until I emailed JPEXS to PM Vity on Twitter. I doubt the email server is working.

Anyway, you can probably put FRP plugins into their installation directory manually, downloading them from another computer or from the source code repository, username and password is w***rider.
February 03, 2023 10:49AM
Thanks for the reply. I had been using the beta version since it was first released- and it worked wonderfully. It stopped just before my last pc gave up the ghost. Now, with Windows 11 on a new pc it does nothing. I have tried several times and now I am just about ready to wipe it off the computer and forget about it.

It does not help when this site just ignores everything I have asked, and even by mailing Vity I hear nothing. I never realised anything about using twitter to get hold of him, I just thought this site - which I assume he started, was the way to try and iron out any problems.

It looks like my future with frd is on the rocks. As no-one actually involved with either the programme itself, or this site can help (or be bothered to even answer me) I assume they have just ditched the programme together with anyone who has used it. Maybe they have a new downloader due in the future after bailing out on this one. Who knows?

In the meantime I will just have to look for an alternative to try and get some content from the BBC site. Any suggestions? FRD was the best, but now - after it has been abandoned by the guys who put it together, I suppose it will just be relegated to the list of "whatever happened to". (A bit like clackers and Mousetrap)

I'll still try looking in here from time to time, but as everyone seems to be on a permanent vacation I'm not holding up much hope for anything positive.

Ps. I clicked the link you put here but as I have no idea what to do (I tried your password but the sign-in box just came back). I am not a computer person. I am a pipefitter/plumber. Some people can fix a computer - I can fix and install heating, bathrooms, kitchens, guttering, industrial pipe systems and other things. But expecting me to be able to conquer/understand computer technology would be like me expecting everyone to be able to install 200mm pvc pipe to make a header, connected to six pumps on a cooling tower, for an aluminium press/extruder. eye popping smiley

To put it another way, I am out of my league when people talk computers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 11:05AM by Steve.
February 03, 2023 11:09AM
It looks like this is the only thread posted this year. Has everyone else given up with FRD?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login