Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Proxy newbie question + too many links

Posted by agaver 
Proxy newbie question + too many links
January 22, 2010 12:55PM
Hello everyone.
I'm very please with FRD.
Thanks to it my download list is over 5000 links and growing every day... here the problem...
I don't have a premium account and therefore to finish it will take me centuries.
I've been reading and find out that I could enter a proxy server or a list of servers to use when my I reached my free limits.
My question is would my whole internet connection be redirected through the proxy I select in FRD or only the FRD downloads will be redirected through the proxy? Basically my question is that, I'm just wondering if by entering the proxies into FRD my torrents, browsing, etc.. would be going through the proxy or not?
Thanks a lot for any help ;)
It's appreciatted!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 06:20PM by Vity.
Re: Proxy newbie question..
January 22, 2010 01:52PM
First of all, FRD is only deisgned to handle max ~100 links, so it will propably crash with over 5000 links.

And your question, only FRD's internet traffic is routed through the proxy.
January 22, 2010 02:10PM
Hi again ntoskrnl ,
Thanks for the quick response!
Let me tell you ... I've been using FRD since November I believe... I've always had a queue of upto 3000 links...
I even replaced machines and move the whole history to the new one... I haven't had one single crash so far (touching wood)... so I don't know if it was designed for just 100 or not... but check the screenshot... that only speaks even better about vity and its team's work! (I'm assuming you are part of it).
And thanks for the proxy answer I'll try that asap... as u can imagine it's a long long list! :)
thanks for answering!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 02:12PM by agaver.
Attachments:
open | download - New Picture.bmp (30.3 KB)
January 22, 2010 04:36PM
Well, ntoskrnl meant that algorithms used in FRD are not optimized for such huge amount of links.

-------------------------------------

January 22, 2010 05:26PM
Hi Vity,
What can I say... so far it's working!
I understand that if something crashes or I get any errors it's all my crazy use of the program and none of you guys fault :)
However let me tell you this... I remember downloading from at least 5 sites simultaneously without a problem
(Rapidshare/megaupload/hotfile/netload/mediafire). Ofcourse it's just one link at a time, and I process my downloads in batches I don't have all the links in status "queue" at the same time. I believe this extreme use it's why it uses about 50% of my processor time... but hey... It works great! thanks a lot for such a nice beast piece of software!
January 22, 2010 05:30PM
The main problem is with .xml, where are the links stored. Although we use backup files, sometimes storing and reloading crashes and all links are gone then. It usually happens when users have many links.
CPU consumption can be related to your count of links. Every second table has to be refreshed for each downloading link and sorted if you have filter enabled. So it means eg. 5x4000 links sorting per second + gui refreshing and it requires CPU.

January 22, 2010 05:55PM
Hi Vity,
Thanks for the detail explanation.
As per the cpu usage... I never complained about since I knew I was loading it too much.
May be I could save the links into some txt file and then paste them into FRD in amounts of 50-60?
mmm... thinking now.. may be that could be a good feature to add... what do u think?
you know when you do ctrl-v on a website and FRD detects the links and opens that dialog box name
"insert new url" well may be it could be a good idea to have an option to store them on a "backup place"
or offline queue or something? then when u actually plan to start downloading them you can move those links
from the storage over to the main download interface... should if alleviate the cpu load? and that way you can have...
what? 5000 ? 50000 ? 5000000000000000000000? links :)
Just some idea... otherwise I'll use a text file to store my selection of links and not load FRD too much ;)

Once again, thanks a lot for the explanations and the assistance to both!
January 22, 2010 06:17PM
The easiest way to backup your links:
ctrl+a, ctrl+c, ctrl+v anywhere

your idea is too complicated (technically) at this time to implement...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login