WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Download Speed Limiter, when?

Posted by thiforums 
Download Speed Limiter, when?
March 12, 2009 02:42PM
I have ressurected this important subject because a download speed limiter is crucial nowadays for any download manager application.

FreeRapid Downloader is not a download accelerator. It's just a nice download manager for files share services. I can put any links I want and let it downloading without my intervention; I don't need to visit the file url all times when I need to download a file. The program does all the things for me.

Vity: when you say the purpose of this tool is to download as fast as possible, you're basically saying that FreeRapid acts as a download accelerator too? Could you explain me what FreeRapid does to increase the download speed?
Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference on the speed between the browser (Firefox) and FreeRapid while downloading the same file from the rapidshare service.

Btw, my main point with this topic is to give a very useful and, probably, the main advantage of a bandwidth speed limiter for a download manager:

You can use many of the Internet services simultenously without becoming sad with the access speed for those services. A very good example of this advantage is:
let's say your connection is ADSL 1Mbit/S and you choose to limite the download speed at 50KB/S because you wanna play an online game and doing so you will not have so much lag which could cause a connection loss.

In other words, I would be very happy if I could play my favorite online game, while downloading a file with FreeRapid and still being able to visit web sites to read news in a good speed. Yeah God, I could do 3 things simultenously if FreeRapid had support for bandwidth limiter!

That's the only reason I haven't given all my life for the FreeRapid Downloader!

* For nbs that will come here to tell me to install NetLimiter or any other third party tool that does the same job, STFU! I already have too much programs running on my pc and installing a kernel-mode driver to limit the bandwidth is not the solution!
Re: Download Speed Limiter, when?
March 12, 2009 04:25PM
From the reasons I mentioned before, I don't plan to implement it in the near future. Maybe @#$%& fits your needs better.

-------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2009 05:09PM by Vity.
April 07, 2009 11:49AM
Too bad that you think this way, I thought you was an open mind developer. But by reading your naabs reasons I concluded that you are not that good. Sorry to say this, but your reasons are very very bad with strange excuses. The only thing I can guess at this moment is that you're getting paid by some bandwidth limit application company...
I tested @#$%&, another made-in-java application, with more complex features but with a very high disavantage: performance! OMFG, an eternity to do anything on that application^^. Since there is no applications that fits my needs, I have started creating my own rapidshare downloader in C++ for personal usage only.
April 07, 2009 03:10PM
>>I thought you was an open mind developer.
I am smiling smiley. Simply start to do it smiling smiley. The sources are available... smiling smiley

>>you're getting paid by some bandwidth limit application company...
smiling smiley)

>>an eternity to do anything on that application^^
LOL

>>have started creating my own rapidshare downloader in C++ for personal usage only.
Good luck, although I recommend you to use SlimRat or something like that...

April 09, 2009 01:35PM
I probably found a way how to easily implement it.
The next version 0.82 is planned for the next week. Then I will start to work on integration this new feature.

April 11, 2009 09:08PM
"* For nbs that will come here to tell me to install NetLimiter or any other third party tool that does the same job, STFU! I already have too much programs running on my pc and installing a kernel-mode driver to limit the bandwidth is not the solution!"

What's wrong with Netlimiter, DUSuperControler & other programs of this type, with nowadays low memory prices you probably maxed out at 4GB on an 32bit OS & if that isn't enough why don't you go for an 64bit OS with 8GB or more installed. If 64bit OS is incompatible with your programs you would probably go for 2 or more WM's with 32bit OS running under a 64bit OS to make use of the full 8GB+ memory.

So what is the problem, is the kernel-mode drivers of Netlimiter(or similar programs) an security risk or what do you mean?

You probably use a firewall or another download managers for normal file downloads(not from RS & alike) right?
Why not use a firewall or an download managers(that could be used as a proxy) such that also has bandwidth limiting capability's in them then?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login