WordRider Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Freerapid on Java 9

Posted by Vity 
Re: Freerapid on Java 9
July 08, 2017 04:16PM
@Tong2Shot - Great!
@Ntoskrnl: Jesus, why the LaF is accessing security config? I see it now... That's a problem... We can hack the class. It has no dependencies therefore in theory we can replace that class. I will write an email to that guy:
[www.jtattoo.net] ... email sent, waiting for response...

@Anyone: I made a commit with the Jackson upgrade. JAXB is removed hopefully from everywhere. Please make a new build and test it.

CompoundManager seems to be fixed as well.

I also added a new feature - option to set default UI font size. I guess someone in the forum requested it.

Another question - what should be minimal JDK version for the next release? I suppose we should upgrade to 1.8 (set as minimum requirement).
Unfortunately I have no stats info about how many users are still using WinXP.

-------------------------------------

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 07:27PM by Vity.
July 09, 2017 08:50AM
I was thinking Java 7, as it has some useful features like try-with-resources and still works on Windows XP. Does Java 8 have many features that are useful to us?

Maybe we should update all LAFs? Are there any more modern LAFs available, or is it all just JavaFX nowadays? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The resource loading problem probably has something to do with tor/geoip because I was working on those plugins at the same time I committed the original fix. I don't think the problem is with toLowerCase() with default locale even though I fixed that also. The problem is that plugin URLs that point to jar/zip files need special handling for some reason, and all our plugins are frp files. So the default version of the maybeJarFile method is a no-op for frp files.

However, I can't reproduce any problem now. Geoip seems to work fine with the current code.
July 09, 2017 09:15AM
I added a couple methods to the plugin api. I wonder if we should replace the dialog lock object with a fair lock based system so that dialogs are always displayed in the correct order?
July 09, 2017 09:22AM
Well, I am using intensively J8 for more than year and honestly I can not imagine to live without it. I love it.The streams api can help to make code more readable and using lambdas can make the code much shorter, especially in swing where the single implementation listeners are used quite often.Functional style programming is a current hot topic...But I am not sure if it makes sense for the next version. It might be also helpful for all of you to make coding easier and to learn something new.

Swing is dead and they develope JavaFX only. All old Swing devs sites are dead as well. I checked JFX, but it does not probably bring anything new for us. Its table component is really poor. In my opinion JFX 2.1 came too late , although I like the idea model binding and styling separation and it solves some swing problems such as high resolution screens.

July 09, 2017 09:23AM
Do any improvements you want, just don't break something smiling smiley

July 09, 2017 09:43AM
Surprisingly something new was born [weblookandfeel.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2017 09:43AM by Vity.
July 09, 2017 09:55AM
@Anyone: I am just checking [gitter.im] , if you want to talk together.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login